top of page

Hakes Hold on for Win

St Ives 20 v 15 Wadebridge

Last Saturday at Alexandra Road, the St Ives 1st XV welcomed North Cornwall side Wadebridge in their latest League encounter. Head coach Paul Thirlby was forced to shuffle his pack after an injury last week for prop Ben Jenkins and second row Jamie Prisk was absent through illness. Joel Stevens came in at hooker with Captain Ben Taylor moving to prop. Joe Burton started in the second row with Peter Skeggs coming on to the bench.

Wadebridge opened the scoring in only the second minute when St Ives were caught offside. James Grubb successfully kicked the penalty to put the visitors 3 points to nil up. Jordan Gott levelled the scores at 3 points each only a minute later when he kicked a penalty for St Ives.

St Ives went on to take control of the match in the first half with Wadebridge struggling to break out of their own half. In the 10th minute, while playing advantage for offside, the St Ives players swiftly moved the ball out wide. Tom Nicholas, in his first game for seven weeks, made a break before offloading to right winger Jacob Ninnes, who dived over the line to score the first try of the afternoon. The conversion was missed, but St Ives had the lead by 8 points to 3.

Five minutes later and again it was centre Tom Nicholas who cut a great line through the Wadebridge defence at full pace to score a fine try under the posts. The conversion was added by Gott to extend the Hakes lead to 15 points to 3.

On the half hour mark with St Ives playing advantage again, scrum half Liam Jolly kicked the ball through wrong footing the visitors defence. The ball was gathered by a St Ives player who offloaded to left wing, Lewis Thomas, who finished off the move well to score St Ives’ 3rd try of the match. Again the conversion was missed, but St Ives were now in control of the match at 20 points to 3.

With no addition to the score for the remainder of the first half the sides turned around for the second period. On the evidence of the first half the home supporters would have been expecting that St Ives would go and claim another bonus point victory, but that was not to be.

Jordan Gott missed a chance to extend St Ives lead from a penalty in the 42nd minute. Ten minutes later St Ives flanker Archie Mackay was shown a yellow card for an offence at a ruck and from then onwards things began to fall apart for the Hakes.

In the 64th minute Mike Rawlings grabbed the first try for the visitors, which was un-converted. Only 5 minutes later Jack Scott scored Wadebridge’s second try, which was converted by Grubb to put them right back in the match at 20 points to 15.

With 10 minutes left to play the visitors began to press St Ives back as they pushed for the score that would give them a chance of victory. The St Ives players defended admirably, but had no possession largely due to their line out which was in disarray. Had it not been for an incredible array of unforced errors in the backs, the Camels would surely have won handsomely.

Despite all sorts of pressure from the visitors St Ives held on to record the win, their second of the season over the side from North Cornwall by 20 points to 15.

This result sees the Hakes maintain 6th place in the Western Counties West Division, 5 points behind Wadebridge and 5 points ahead of Sidmouth.

St Ives are back in action on the 25th of March when they travel to Bude, with no game this coming Saturday. Kick off in Bude is scheduled for 2:30pm; any travelling support would be very welcome.

St Ives : Ben Taylor (Captain), Joel Stevens, Tom Chandler, Joe Burton, Harry Parton, Archie Mackay, Sean Stevens, Martyn Lawrance, Liam Jolly, Grant Thirlby, Lewis Thomas, Steve Kenward, Tom Nicholas, Jacob Ninnes, Jordan Gott.

Replacements: Pete Mabbott, Joe Parma, Peter Skeggs. (All Used)

bottom of page