top of page

Hakes Score 14 Tries to Demolish Bude

St Ives 92 v 0 Bude

St Ives run of impressive form continued last Saturday when they welcomed old rivals Bude to Alexandra Road in their latest Western Counties West League encounter. The last time these two sides met was in March earlier this year, Bude took victory then and went on to become league champions and secure promotion alongside St Ives who took the runners up spot.

A minute's silence was observed following the passing away of Leslie Stevens

From the kick off in this match it soon became clear that a very different result was on the cards. St Ives took a grip on the game with an intensity that was too much for their rivals from north Cornwall. The first points of the day were scored by left wing Pete Mabbott, his first of the season, when he was put clear out wide. Jordan Gott, playing at centre this week, slotted the conversion to put the Hakes 7-0 up after 10 minutes.

Five minutes later a deft kick over the Bude defence from player coach Paul Thirlby saw centre Steve Kenward gather the ball and cross for a try. Again Gott converted to double St Ives advantage to 14-0 with 15 minutes gone.

With Bude beginning to buckle under intense St Ives pressure it was Thirlby himself that was next on the scoresheet with St Ives third try. He showed excellent agile footwork to go around the last man. Once again Gott added the extras to give the Hakes a 21 point lead without reply after 28 minutes.

With the north Cornwall side being made to defend almost relentlessly they began to show signs of frustration. Their penalty count paralleled their exasperation. This boiled over when one of their second rows was shown a yellow card, reducing the visitors to 14 men in the 35th minute. The remainder of the first half saw the Hakes continue to dominate. Two further tries came; through number 8 Martyn Lawrance and Pete Mabbott with his second of the afternoon. Both players were making huge meters with the ball in hand. The conversions were added by Gott to round off an entertaining half of running rugby for the St Ives’ supporters. The lead was a commanding 35 points to nil.

The second half saw the introduction off the bench of centre Jacob Ninnes, who returned to the side after a lengthy spell away from the game. His first contribution was a typical mazy run at the Bude defence, which created the space for Tom Chandler to score the try in the first minute of the second half. Once again Gott slotted the conversion to put the Hakes ahead by 42 points to nil. His kicking out of hand was equally sublime throughout the match.

Bude were not showing any sign that they were going to get themselves back into the game in the face of continuous St Ives pressure. Next on the scoresheet for the Hakes was Captain Ben Taylor, who crossed for a try, following an excellent break down the left by Pete Mabbott. Again Gott added the conversion, St Ives 49, Bude nil, 48 minutes gone.

Only 2 minutes later and St Ives had scored again, this time an interception try for Joe Rouncefield on the right wing who gathered the ball from a wayward Bude pass just inside his own half, the footrace that followed saw him outpace the Bude defence to score his first try of the season. This time the conversion was missed. With the result beyond doubt, at 54 points to nil in St Ives favour with 50 minutes gone, it became a matter of just how many points St Ives would amass.

Pete Mabbott was next on the scoresheet as the Hakes kept up the pressure on the visitors with his third try of the match. The conversion from Gott saw the Hakes pass the 60 point mark to make it 61 points to nil in the 60th minute.

It was all too much for Bude and St Ives were running the ball at will by this stage of the match, with very little coming back from the visitors. In the 63rd minute, a kick into space by Gott saw the Hakes pour forward once again in attack. Tom Chandler finished off the move with his second try to make the score 68 points to nil after another Gott conversion.

Pete Mabbott grabbed his fourth try of the afternoon in the 66th minute to cap a fine performance by the left winger. No conversion this time as the score moved on to 73 points to nil.

Another player returning to the side for this game was Neil Corin. He marked his return to the team in what was his first appearance of the season with a try in the 69th minute. Again Gott obliged with the conversion to move the score on to St Ives 80, Bude nil.

Following an excellent afternoon with the boot Jordan Gott made it on to the list of try scorers himself, with a try in the 76th minute, following a good break down the right wing by Rouncefield. The conversion further extended St Ives’ lead to 87 points without reply.

The final score of the match came in the last play. St Ives were awarded a penalty just outside their own 22 metre line. Tom Chandler found himself with the ball, looked up, took a quick tap and ran a full 75 metres brushing aside the Bude defence to score his third try of the match. The conversion was missed and the referee blew the full time whistle with the final score St Ives 92, Bude nil.

This bonus point victory sees the Hakes move up to sixth place in the league only 11 points behind league leaders Devonport Services. St Ives are back in action this coming Saturday with another fixture at home, this time to the side at the bottom of the league; Wellington. Kick off at Alexandra Road is scheduled for 2:30pm; any home support would be very welcome.

St Ives : Jonathan Wright, Ben Taylor (Captain), Ben Jenkins, Jamie Prisk, Jake Clemson, Tom Chandler, Harry Parton, Martyn Lawrance, Sam Carter, Paul Thirlby, Joe Rouncefield, Steve Kenward, Jordan Gott, Pete Mabbott, Lewis Thomas.

Replacements : Neil Corin, Jacob Ninnes, Joel Stevens. (All used)

bottom of page