top of page

Hakes Complete Double Over Tiverton

Tiverton 8 v 22 St Ives

Last Saturday the St Ives 1st team squad made the long away trip to Devon side Tiverton. Coach Paul Thirlby made several enforced changes for the trip including moving second row Tom Chandler back to prop in place of the un-available James Bishop. Jamie Prisk returned to the second row along with Jake Clemson. Grant Thirlby was named at fly half and Pete Mabbott returned to the bench.

Having already beaten Tiverton at home in October by 40 points to 17 hopes were high of securing a second victory over the side from Devon.

The game was played in cold conditions on a very sticky pitch and it was the home side who made the better opening and they pinned St Ives back in their own half for long periods. The first points went the way of the Tiverton when St Ives were caught offside in the 9th minute when they successfully converted a penalty chance to give them a 3 points to nil lead.

Following taking the lead the home side continued to have the best of the possession. However, the defensive work from St Ives kept Tiverton from increasing their lead until the 22nd minute, when they converted pressure into points with an un-converted try.

As the first half wore on the St Ives scrum became more of a factor as they asserted their dominance of the set piece up front. This resulted in limited chances for the home side as they struggled to get decent ball to play with.

In the last play of the first half the Hakes had their best spell of possession and put some good pressure on the Tiverton line for the first time in the match, thanks to some thrusting breaks from St Ives number 8 Martyn Lawrance. This pressure was rewarded with a ‘pick and go try’ for prop Tom Chandler when he forced his way over for St Ives’ first points of the match. The conversion chance was missed and the referee blew his whistle for half time with the score Tiverton 8 St Ives 5.

The second half began well for the Hakes and now it was their turn to pile the pressure on the home side. All the pressure from St Ives was coming from the scrum and in the 45th minute the referee had no choice but to award a penalty try when the St Ives scrum pushed Tiverton backwards over their own line. Full back Jordan Gott added the conversion to put St Ives ahead for the first time in the match by 12 points to 8.

Only 4 minutes later winger Pete Mabbott ran infield looking for the ball. From the resulting pick and drive move from the Hakes in the Tiverton 22 he touched down for his fifth try of the season. The conversion was missed this time, but St Ives lead was extended to 17 points to 8.

Tiverton’s hopes of getting something from the game were given a boost in the 71st minute when St Ives second row Jake Clemson was shown yellow for an illegal tackle. St Ives had other ideas, however, and kept up the pressure on the Devon side. In the final play of the match another dominant St Ives scrum saw Sean Stevens gather the ball to score his first try of the season. After a slow start St Ives gained another try bonus point. Coach Paul Thirlby will be encouraged. In the previous game against near rivals St Austell the opponents finished the stronger. In this contest it was St Ives who did so. The conversion was missed and the referee brought the contest to a close with St Ives victorious by 22 points to 8.

This result sees St Ives move up to 6th place in the Western Counties West League and they look forward to their next match this coming Saturday at Alexandra Road where they welcome Burnham on Sea. Kick off in St Ives is scheduled for 2:30pm; any home support would be very welcome.

St Ives : Ben Jenkins, Ben Taylor, Tom Chandler, Jamie Prisk, Jake Clemson, Harry Parton, Sean Stevens, Martyn Lawrance, Dan Rutter, Grant Thirlby, Lewis Thomas, Steve Kenward, Joe Parma, Jacob Ninnes, Jordan Gott.

Replacements: Paul Thirlby (Not Used), Liam Jolly (Used), Pete Mabbott (Used)

bottom of page