top of page

Hakes up to Second after Victory at Burnham

Burnham-on-Sea 20 v 22 St Ives

St Ives made the long trip to Somerset side Burnham-on-Sea last Saturday. Joint head coach Rob Elloway was unavailable for this match along with the injured Sean Stevens, (broken thumb). In came Joel Stevens on the flank and Kye Beasley made his first start of the season at prop. Treve Polglase came on to the wing with Jacob Ninnes moving to full back. One could say, rightly, that this was a different side to the one that played Truro last week.

The game began well for the home side. The first 10 minutes saw them test the St Ives defence with persistent attacks. The visitors handled the pressure well, until the 8th minute, when Matt Love found a hole in the defensive line, which he burst through to score the first try of the match. Tim Piper added the conversion to give the home side a 7 points to nil lead.

St Ives soon created some pressure and started to move the ball around with some promise. Their efforts were rewarded when, in the 16th minute, right wing Treve Polglase finished off a nice move to score his first try of the season. Rhys Brownfield kicked the conversion to level the scores at 7 points each.

St Ives continued to move the ball around nicely giving them options in attack and it wasn't long before they took the lead in the match when back row Harry Parton sold the defence a dummy to cross for a well-deserved try. The conversion was missed this time, but the Hakes had the lead at 12 points to 7.

Tim piper added a penalty goal for the home side in the 35th minute, but some good play once more from the St Ives back line saw Tom Nicholas grab a try before half time to set the score at the break, Burnham 10, St Ives 17.

A very competitive second half was to follow with long periods of pressure from the home side that tested the St Ives defence. A yellow card for replacement winger Josh Palmer after only 2 minutes of the half put the Hakes under pressure which Burnham took full advantage of with a try from Jake Allen. Tim Piper converted to level the scores again at 17 points each.

St Ives responded well and soon grabbed the lead again when scrum half Liam Jolly took the opportunity from the base of a ruck and made a break on the blind side to score a try. No conversion this time, but St Ives had a 5 point lead and a bonus point for scoring four tries.

Burnham pressed forward looking for the score that would bring them back into the match. They sustained a period of pressure on the St Ives line that was thwarted by some stern defensive play from the visitors. Tim Piper kicked another penalty goal in the 67th minute to move the home side just 2 points away from St Ives at 20 points to 22.

Despite losing another player to a yellow card from the referee in the 71st minute, the St Ives players broke out of defence and played out the final few minutes of the match in the Burnham half of the field. The referee brought the game to a close a few minutes later to see St Ives claim the victory by 2 points at 20 points to 22.

This result sees St Ives move up to second place in the Western Counties West league only 2 points behind leaders Devonport Services. With no game this coming Saturday the St Ives players take a well-deserved rest before returning to action on the 25th November when they welcome another Somerset side, Chard, to Alexandra Road. KO is scheduled for 2:30pm and any home support would be very welcome.

St Ives: Kye Beasley, Ben Taylor, Ben Jenkins, Jamie Prisk, Matt Nichol, Harry Parton, Joel Stevens, Martyn Lawrance, Liam Jolly, Paul Thirlby, Pete Mabbott, Rhys Brownfield, Tom Nicholas, Treve Polglase, Jacob Ninnes.

Replacements: Leigh Hocking, Tom Chandler, Josh Palmer (All Used).

bottom of page