top of page

Late Tries Bring Bonus

St Ives 31 v 17 Tiverton

Last Saturday at a very windy Alexandra Road the St Ives 1st team squad welcomed Devon side Tiverton for their latest Western Counties West league game.

Joint Head coaches Paul Thirlby and Rob Elloway named some changes, including the return of Sean Stevens on the flank. Jamie Hoskin also returned to the second row. Joel Stevens started at hooker with Rob Elloway missing through illness. Ben Jenkins also returned at prop. Pete Mabbott suffered an injury in the warm up so the back line was shuffled with Harry Parton at inside centre, Rhys Brownfield on the wing and Grant Thirlby, back from Naval duties, at full back. Jacob Ninnes also made his first appearance this season on the other wing.

Tiverton started the match with the considerable gale at their backs, but it was St Ives that took the initiative with an early try from Cameron Bone, Rhys Brownfield converting to see the Hakes take the lead by points to nil lead. Five minutes later and St Ives doubled their advantage with a try for winger Jacob Ninnes, who showed a lot of pace, which was again converted by Brownfield. It was an encouraging start from St Ives with the wind in their faces. Anyone watching was left in no doubt of the strength of the wind when a Brownfield penalty attempt was taken by the wind into touch for a lineout….!!

The remainder of the first half saw Tiverton have their best spell of the match. They made life difficult for the St Ives players, keeping them pinned back in their own half for long periods. The pressure was rewarded in the 13th minute with a try from Richard Tucker, Matt Down adding the conversion. Six minutes later Tiverton’s right wing Euan Howells crossed for their second try of the match. This time the conversion was missed to leave the visitors trailing St Ives by just 2 points at 14-12.

Despite the visitors pressure the St Ives players regularly broke out of defence and in the 25th minute St Ives number 8 Martyn Lawrance found himself out wide on the right and crossed for a try. No conversion this time but St Ives’ lead was stretched to 7 points at 19-12.

The Tiverton players had the last say of the first half when Euan Howells went in for his second try of the match which was again un-converted to make the half time score St Ives 19, Tiverton 17.

St Ives started the second half with the wind at their backs, but often found it difficult to use this to their advantage. Several handling errors prevented them from pressing home some promising attacks and dominant scrums. It wasn't until the 71st minute that they scored the important bonus point try when Martyn Lawrance went over from the base of a scrum. Brownfield added the conversion to put the win beyond doubt at 26 points to 17.

The pattern of the game continued with St Ives pinning the visitors back in their own half, but not turning pressure into points again until the very last play of the game when a Tom Chandler break allowed Ben Jenkins the opportunity to finish off the move with a try in the corner to seal the victory for St Ives at 31 points to 17.

This win sees the Hakes consolidate 3rd position in the league on point’s difference from St Austell in second place and trailing league leaders Devonport Services by one point.

St Ives travel to Torquay this coming Saturday for their latest league game. Kick off in Devon is scheduled for 3:00pm; any travelling support would be very welcome.

St Ives : Tom Chandler, Joel Stevens, Ben Jenkins, Jamie Prisk, Jamie Hoskin, Cameron Bone, Sean Stevens, Martyn Lawrance, Liam Jolly, Paul Thirlby, Rhys Brownfield, Harry Parton, Tom Nicholas, Jacob Ninnes, Grant Thirlby.

Replacements: Ben Taylor (Used), Leigh Hocking (Used), Peter Mabbott (Not Used).

bottom of page