top of page

Hakes Back to Winning Ways

St Ives 59 v 26 Teignmouth

Last Saturday St Ives welcomed Devon side Teignmouth to Alexandra Road for their latest South West One West league encounter, the penultimate home game of the season.

Head coach Rob Elloway named a strong side including himself at hooker and player coach Chris Fuca returned to the back row. Steve Kenward also started his first game at centre since a suffering a serious knee injury last season. It proved to be an injury free game for the former captain.

St Ives began the game well and for the first quarter of the match played with intensity that Teignmouth had no answer for. The first try came in only the second minute when a driving maul from a line out rumbled over the line, with almost no resistance, allowing second row Jamie Prisk the opportunity to dot down. This brought Jamie level with injured Pete Mabbott on eleven tries. No conversion, but only three minutes later the Hakes were on the scoreboard again. This time it was the skipper, Tom Nicholas, who dived over for a try. Tom thus also joined the rank of top try scorer. These three players have accounted for 33% of the tries scored this season. Dan Magee converted to put the Hakes ahead by 12 points to nil.

Next on the scoresheet was number 8 Martyn Lawrance who powered over the line for a try in the 15th minute. Magee converted again to make the score 19 points to nil. In the 22nd minute it was Jamie Prisk who grabbed his second try of the match when he finished off another St Ives attack in the corner to claim the bonus point for the Hakes. Prisk now heads the top try scorers. Magee added the extras once again to give St Ives a commanding lead of 26 points to nil with only 22 minutes gone.

Teignmouth got on the scoreboard in the 24th minute, nothing less than they deserved. They had periods of quality possession with multiple phases. St Ives were scoring on the counter attack. It was centre Matt Laventure who opened their account. Faolan Lidstone added the conversion to make the score 26-7. This score came from a poor exit on the kick off, which happened several times during the match; something for the Hakes to work on. St Ives, however, were demonstrating quick ball and forwards pouring around the back of the ruck, Liam Jolly providing the feed. Only 5 minutes later Ben Taylor was assisted over the line with a latch from fellow prop Ben Jenkins under the posts. Attempts to hold them up were, well, flattened! Magee converted again to make the score St Ives 33, Teignmouth 7.

The side from Devon never gave up and looked dangerous with the ball in hand. In the 38th minute fly half Lidstone converted his own effort to make the score 33-14.

It was St Ives who had the final say of the first half, however, when in the last play winger Lewis Vinnicombe stormed over the whitewash for another try. Magee was having a good day with his kicking and converted to make the score at the break St Ives 40, Teignmouth 14.

The second half began much as the first had ended with St Ives scoring again. In the 44th minute Lewis Vinnicombe grabbed his second try of the match (unconverted) and his fourth in four games. Only 4 minutes later full back Jack Kessell scored the Hakes 8th try of the afternoon which was converted by Magee to put St Ives beyond the reach of the Devon side at 52 points to 14.

Former Penzance & Newlyn colt and Truro College Academy player, Alistair Stacey, came on at scrum half for his home debut and quickly demonstrated his willingness and capability. Hard working Jolly moved to the wing after Vinnicombe took a knock. Flanker, Chris Quick earned the ‘man of the match’ for St Ives, while centre Matt Laventure was the choice player from Teignmouth, who are now in a huge relegation battle .

Teignmouth who again showed that they were not going to give up then had their best spell of the match during which they scored two further tries. The first was again through Laventure with his second of the afternoon, which was converted by Lidstone. The second 10 minutes later in the 64th minute was scored by Lidstone with no conversion to make the score 52-26. These two had worked tirelessly throughout.

The final score of the match came in the 78th minute when St Ives replacement prop Kye Beasley powered over the line for the Hakes 9th try. Magee slotted the conversion to confirm the final score in the match St Ives 59, Teignmouth 26.

This emphatic win for the Hakes sees them move into fifth place in the league table only two points behind Bridgwater & Albion, the side who St Ives travel to this coming Saturday. Kick off in Somerset is scheduled for 2:30pm; any traveling support would be very welcome.

St Ives : Ben Taylor, Rob Elloway, Ben Jenkins, Jamie Prisk, Jamie Hoskin, Chris Fuca, Chris Quick, Martyn Lawrance, Liam Jolly, Adam Hosking, Dan Magee, Steve Kenward, Tom Nicholas, Lewis Vinnicombe, Jack Kessell.

Replacements : Kye Beasley, Alistair Stacey, Joji Volaisaya (All Used).

bottom of page