top of page

Hakes Sign Off at Home With a Win

St Ives 34 v 13 Hornets

Last Saturday St Ives played their last home game of the current season against Weston-Super-Mare side Hornets. Player Coach Rob Elloway was not available for this fixture so Connor Bick stepped in at hooker. Aden Brassington returned to the back row from injury, with Sam Vernon named among the replacements. Steve Kenward was back in the centre. Leigh Hocking continued at prop with Ben Jenkins recovering from an injured toe.

St Ives made the better start and soon stamped their authority on proceedings. From the Hornets kick off Jamie Prisk exited with a direct run into the opponents 22. After only three minutes they notched up their first points of the afternoon when prop Leigh Hocking crossed for a try that went un-converted to give the Hakes an early lead at 5 points to nil.

St Ives looked in good form and this was again underlined when full back Jack Kessell was released to score the Hakes second try. The speedy full back often selects excellent running lines and this one proved to be a superb line breaker, to give him his ninth try of the season. This time Dan Magee converted to put the Hakes 12 points up.

The side from Somerset looked well organised and created opportunities that the St Ives defence cancelled out, but in the 17th minute Jordan Humphries got the visitors on the scoreboard through a successfully converted penalty chance to make the score 12 - 3.

Just before the half hour mark St Ives grabbed another try when left wing Magee was put in the clear to score. The wide conversion chance was missed, but the Hakes looked good value for their lead at 17 points to 3.

The St Ives forwards ensured the Hakes ended the first half well on top. In the 35th minute prop Ben Taylor saw a gap in the visitors defence to sprint through and score a well-deserved try (un-converted) to grab the bonus point. Only 5 minutes later in the final play of the half second row Jamie Prisk forced his way over the whitewash to score the Hakes’ fifth try of the afternoon. This latest success for the ever present 2nd row brought his thirteenth try to go one ahead of Tom Nicholas. Grant Thirlby slotted the conversion to give St Ives a healthy looking 29 points to 3 lead at the break.

The second half was a scrappy affair. St Ives lost their way and Hornets took full advantage, scoring two tries through their left winger Jo Gadd in the 46th and 51st minutes. Both tries went un-converted to make the score St Ives 29, Hornets 13.

St Ives did penetrate deep into the Hornets territory on several occasions in the second half, but were unable to capitalise on field position. After such an entertaining first half, this was one of the most mistake filled, dull period of rugby at The Rec for some considerable time. That was until the 75th minute when back row Aden Brassington crossed for a try (un-converted) to set the final score at St Ives 34, Hornets 13.

This result sees St Ives maintain 6th place in the South West One West division, just two points behind 5th placed side North Petherton.

This coming Saturday the Hakes head to Devon for their final league game of the season at Cullompton. Kick off in Devon is scheduled for 3:00pm; any travelling support would be very welcome.

St Ives: Ben Taylor, Connor Bick, Leigh Hocking, Jamie Prisk, Jamie Hoskin, Chris Quick, Aden Brassington, Martyn Lawrance, Liam Jolly, Grant Thirlby, Dan Magee, Steve Kenward, Tom Nicholas (Capt), Joe Parma, Jack Kessell.

Replacements: Sam Vernon, Alistair Stacey, Adam Hosking (all used).

bottom of page