top of page
  • Writer's pictureWords: Alan Thomas

Hakes Dream Ends at Teddington

Papa Johns Community Cup - Counties 2 Championship semi final

Saturday 29th April 2023 at Imber Court (Met Police)

Teddington 43 : 22 St Ives

St Ives made the long journey by coach to face Teddington RFC, unbeaten in league or cup for the season in Counties 2 Surrey of the London and SE Division. They had arrived at this stage with two home wins, Bognor (77:7) and Eastbourne (20:0), followed by an away quarter final at Warminster (7:42).

A four hour delay meant that the St Ives coach reached their Reading hotel on Friday night at after 1:00a.m. Hardly appropriate preparation. The following day a decent crowd and sunshine greeted the players with the hosts hoping to achieve their third twickenham visit. However, the St Ives team caught the hosts out and went into a well deserved lead. Jacob Ninnes, with a marvellous solo effort, surprised the Teddington defence to dot down the first try of the match. Grant Thirlby coverted for 0:7. Thirlby put the Hakes further in the lead with a penalty goal to make it 0:10.

An unfortunate injury to winger Adam Harris saw St Ives' first enforced replacement and Keiran Sampson came on. The travelling supporters really began to believe when Nick Prout went over from a scrum set peice. Again converted by Thirlby for a 0:17 lead. Thus it remained until just before half time when Teddington scored a converted try to make the score 7:17. Things could have gone even better but for St Ives being held up over the line.

However, either side of half time the visitors were to sustain several more injuries which lead to major disruption. Poor Sean Stevens was decked out from a head clash for five minutes before being able to walk from the field of play unable to take further part. Jimmy Stevens, crucial to St Ives hopes also had to leave the pitch. Ben Jenkins also went had to bow out of the action.

The Teddington side took the opportunity to haul the score back to parity and then crossed the whitewash several more times. Their back three were particularly fast, illusive and dangerous. St Ives did manage to score one more try, this one from centre Jamie Prisk, so they did have the first and last word.

For those wondering what happened regards the county clubs cup, which St Ives won last year, well, they withdraw and Saltash defeated Perranporth in the final 47:26.


bottom of page