top of page

Hakes Hold Out for Win

First league match ends in tough earned win

St Ives 12 : 5 St Austell II

St Ives realised from the first whistle that this was going to be a tough encounter. The opposition have recruited well since the last meeting here at St Ives. They were generally heavier and well organised.

St Ives began with the wind behind them. The weather, totally contrary to the forecast, was otherwise dry and warm. Ideal for running rugby, albeit in the first outing of a new season.

Both sides were guilty throughout of basic errors and somewhat frantic play that ended in knock ons and penalties, the latter more against St Ives. Eventually after about twenty minutes a try came from a kick ahead from fly half, Nick Prout, which was finished with a touch down in goal by centre Liam Moyle. Nick Prout converted. Soon after he (NP) felt the effects of a collision and injured his knee. He had to leave the field at the next stoppage of play, an obvious loss to the home side. This was the first of a number of injuries to the lighter St Ives unit. St Austell took a considerable time before they used this to their advantage.

The Hakes applied firther pressure to the "Sinners" inside the '22' and went over close to the line with a try from Will Perkin. Nick Prout's conversion hit the post. Later in the second half this conversion might have been the slim gap of victory, but for a number of poor decisions, white line fever included, and mis handling from the away side.

Jimmy Stevens came on to shore the scrum at No.8 and made many key breaks from scrums inside the Hakes' 22. Further injuries led to 2nd row Tom Scanlaon taking to the left wing. St Austell applied pressure but were consistently rebuffed with one effort held up over the line. The managed atry with 10 minutes remaining. Local support were 'on edge'. Could the home side hold out? "How long to go ref." captain Jacob Ninnes kept asking. He had to move to fly half from full back and while he performed this role admiably, the poor wing shoved to full back found himself out of position, often fielding the bal form kicks after several bounces.

The Hakes held out for a 12:5 win. This is a stark reminder of what lies ahead. Well done to survive the Sinners' onslaught. This was character building stuff, exciting and with the right result for the home supporters.


bottom of page